The WA Health Promoting Schools Association Inc (WAHPSA) is a not for profit, non-government entity which advocates and supports a whole school and community approach to health and wellbeing.
The Association achieves this through education, coordination and collaboration with school communities and health agencies.
WAHPSA Constitution. Click here to view
2014-2017 Strategic Plan. Click here to view
Health Promotion embedded in the ethos of Western Australian schools
Schools are a hub for health promotion in communities.
The health of school users is improved and/or protected through their school.
Throughout their schooling, children and youth are healthy, safe and equipped to embark on a journey of lifelong learning.
Agencies better understand the needs of schools and can develop appropriate programs and initiatives.
To assist schools in understanding and implementing the Health Promoting Schools Framework
By helping schools define health in the context of their school and community, the health needs of school users can be more efficiently addressed. This in turn assists schools in achieving their educational and social goals.
By informing and equipping schools with resources on how to implement the Health Promoting Schools Framework across the 3 main areas of Education, Environment and Partnerships; how to identify areas of improvement or opportunity; and how to reorient health services and agencies based on the schools’ needs, both schools and stakeholders are better able to meet their health promotion objectives.
Be the lead advocating body for the Health Promoting Schools Framework in WA
Advocate for the development of school health promotion and promote the health promoting schools concept.
Develop policies of mutual co-operation for groups working in the area of school health promotion.
Promote the adequate resourcing of school health promotion and maximise the efficient use of existing resources.
Provide a network to encourage appropriate partnerships among health and education organisations.
Provide professional development opportunities.
Provide a forum for the exchange of knowledge and expertise; and an opportunity to comment on issues affecting school health promotion.
WAHPSA aims to:
- Advocate for the development of school health promotion
- Develop policies of mutual cooperation for working in the area of school health promotion resources
- Promote the adequate resourcing of school health promotion
- Develop strategies for maximising the efficient use of existing resources
- Provide a network to encourage appropriate partnerships among health organisations
- Provide a forum for comment on issues affecting school health promotion
- Coordinate groups interested in the development of school health promotion
- Provide professional development opportunities